Have you ever asked yourself this question as you are working towards your health and fitness goals – “Why am I doing this?”
Have you ever realised that sometimes the so-called health and fitness goals that you are working on aren’t the ones that you want? In fact, it’s because someone told you that it’s good for you.
Have you ever felt empty despite reaching your health and fitness goals?
One of the reasons why you may be feeling this way is because it doesn’t align with your Wellness Vision (or maybe you don’t have one, and it’s fine!). Wow, Wellness Vision is a huge and heavy word for me when I learnt about it from Wellcoaches. In fact, it turns off a lot of people. But it did clarify a lot of things for me and I hope you find it helpful too!
So what’s a Wellness Vision?
“A Wellness Vision is a compelling statement of who you are and what health-promoting, life-giving behaviours you want to do consistently.”Wellcoaches
And the interesting thing about creating your own Wellness Vision is that you won’t get it “right” in the first try. You will have to go through many times of refining and experimenting to truly say “YES! THIS IS IT!”.
Why is Wellness Vision important?
This analogy is what I gave to my clients – “Imagine you are driving a car in a thick fog, you won’t know you are in front of a pillar till you are right in front of it. Having a Wellness Vision is like clearing up the fog, it allows you to see what’s in front of you clearer. As you keep refining it, the fog gets cleared up more and more.”
So, it gives you:
- Meaning to the goals you set.
- Sense of direction and purpose.
- Leverage your strengths and values.
3 Steps to create your own Wellness Vision
Step 1 – Visualization Tool
This is a 5-10 minutes visualization tool I took from Wellcoaches and find it helpful for my clients. I find that it’s also better to have someone read this out slowly for you.
- Close your eyes, take a deep breath in, and slowly breathe out.
- In your mind, go to a quiet place where you feel comfortable, peaceful, strong, and confident. You feel relaxed. What does your quiet place look like? How do you feel about being there? Notice what’s around you.
- Picture yourself (one year, 5 years, etc) from now. What does your health, fitness, or wellness look like? How do you look physically? What are you wearing? How does your body move? Notice any other changes in your life. Describe what you are doing, feeling, and thinking regarding your wellness.
- Imagine that it is 5 years from now, and you have accomplished your goals. What does it feel like? What are you doing differently? What is the same? What did you do to get there? Who’s around you? What activities are you doing? Describe your health now. Who has helped you along the way?
- Think of one keyword/metaphor/picture to summarize this experience and/or your commitment to health, fitness, and wellness.
Step 2 – Create your Wellness Vision statement starting with “I am..”
Let me share mine with you, if you don’t mind.
I am like a Superman, being strong emotionally and physically. I feel powerful and have the ability to lend a helping hand or listening ear to people whenever they need me. I am physically active and mobile, without having much aches and pains. I am able to regulate my emotions properly so I can enjoy and expand my emotion bank.
Step 3 – Set goals using your Wellness Vision
So what’s next?
Once you have your Wellness Vision, set goals that aligned with your Wellness Vision.
Your goals are like stepping stones towards your Wellness Vision, and not the other way round.
Give it a go and share it if you find this helpful!